Monday, August 12, 2013

Michigan International Speedway

This past weekend I spent most of Sunday at Mach 1 Racing School at MIS learning to drive a racecar and running laps, it was a blast.

The school runs ex nationwide or cup cars with new motors, around 450 HP.


Not as fast as the cars that are racing but fast enough to scare me.


Suited up and ready to go, the racing suits are fire resistant and really hot inside.

They allow passing but not bump drafting :-)).

Our safety guy, he looks stern but is really nice and funny, although he did warn us, you get "talked one time" then screw up again and you're done.

Ready to go, well almost.

Fire suit - check, helmet - check, gloves - check, HANS (head restraint) - check.

Climbing in and out of the car was the hardest part!!!!!

Really ready to go, the car is running, right before the screaming starts.

Running laps, well over 120 MPH.

Overtaking a slower driver.

I swore I hear the crowd cheering then remembered, no crowd, it must be me screaming. The cars go through the corners so fast it's scary, I was sure it was going to just drift up the track and into the wall. Thankfully it didn't

You can't tell under the gloves but my knuckles are white from hanging onto the steering wheel.

Made it alive and you couldn't get the smile off my face for the rest of the day, oh wait, I'm still smiling.

S2K Days 2021

 The S2000 club of America gets together once a year and this year was in northern Michigan. Sleeping Bear sand dunes. The view of lake Mich...